PDS Geosciences Node Community

Scaling Images

brennan.young

This is probably just exposing my ignorance, but how does one scale images from Opportunity? I get the mrad/pixel values, etc., but don't I still need distance to target to scale the image (or part of an image) to a metric like centimeters? Are the random Pancam images of a ball on a stick used somehow for this purpose?

By exploring the MERB Notebook I can look at all of that wonderful data from each Sol, but I also understand there's supposed to be a SIS associated with each data package? Is this the same as viewing the PDS label? I was hoping that documentation would help resolve some of this issue.

Again, I apologize for my ignorance. I've been searching for answers to these questions for a few days now and felt like it was about time to ask a question.

Hi Brennan -

Great questions. The easy one first. There are a couple of ways to access the SIS documents. From the product page (if you are looking at a specific Pancam image, for example), you can click on the blue help icon in the menu bar and select "All Pancam archive documents". That will get you a potentially overwhelming list of all sorts of documents from the archive volumes, such as calibration reports. As noted at the top of the list, the SIS files are in the list under "Documents". The data product SIS is the one you want.

Another way to get to the data set documents is from the Resources tab. Click on the "View documents" link and then select an instrument to access associated documentation.

Getting the image scale is a little trickier. We are developing a tool to provide distance to rover for most stereo images, as well as the ability to measure distances within the scene and to create elevation profiles. Until that tool is ready (planned for later in March), you can get this information by using the XYL image product that is created from a stereo pair. This three-band image contains the x,y,z position of pixels where there is stereo overlap. You can read more information about this in the data product SIS. You can access XYL and other derived products from the product page by selecting "Derived products and download" from "Product views" in the menu.

Please ask if you have more questions.

Thank you!

I had considered doing some basic geometry utilizing the distance between L and R cameras on Mastcam, the positions of a common point in both cameras' images, and the angular properties of each camera's field of view. I'll take a look at the X,Y,Z data... that sounds much more sensible.