PDS Geosciences Node Community

CRISM Analysis in CAT 7.3.1

Al Emran

Dear all,

I was trying process CRISM TRDR (.trr3) data using standard corrections in CAT 7.3.1. following the procedure:

1. FRT IF to CAT

2. ATP and Photometric correction

3. Map Utilities- Project Single Cube

4. Summary Products

However,  when I tried to project single cube the CAT showed an error message though I got a projected image in the window. Attached here is the error message. How can I fix this problem?

Another thing, is the procedure above complete to analyze CRISM data? Or, I need more corrections like EPF, Spectral shift, spectral smile etc. to process TRDR data?

Can I use MTRDR data directly without any correction, just using SU products?

Thank You!

Emran 

Capture.JPG

Hi Al,

I am here to assistant you to fix this issue.

By tracking the error message you posted, it seems there is some problem with ENVI views. When you do the processing, how many views do you open? It may be too many views opened so ENVI throws out an OVERLOADEQ error. 

Thanks,

Feng

Hi Feng,

I opened single viewer but I guess there were couples of data layers in that single layer. 

Were these steps okay for a complete full processing of CRISM TRDR (.trr3) data?

How can I process data for the spectral smile (optical artifact) and noise removal?

Thank you,

Emran

Hi Emran:

I am a CRISM Science Team Member and PDS Geosciences Node Manager. . With regard to processing CRISM data there is no need to convert from radiance to I/F files for the TRDRs because there are already I/F file versions of the TRDRs that have been cleaned up for noise. Use those I/F files. These have values of radiance detected by CRISM divided by the solar radiance at the heliocentric distance for the time of the observation. CAT at this time only has a volcano scan atmospheric correction. It is under ATP correction. I usually check photometric correction on and the program divides by the cosine of the incidence angle, this makes it a Lambert albedo. The display error message sometimes appears in ENVI classic and 5.4. Feng can talk you through it. Let me now what you are trying to get from the CRISM data and I can help walk you through what I would do to try and get there. Pretty complicated data sets and it is easy to get lost in them and become a bit frustrated. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ray Arvidson

Hi Emran,

Would you please try to do the processing again to see if the error showing again? I want to check if the error can be replicated or just one time issue.

Thanks,

Feng

19 hours ago, Al Emran said:

Hi Feng,

I opened single viewer but I guess there were couples of data layers in that single layer. 

Were these steps okay for a complete full processing of CRISM TRDR (.trr3) data?

How can I process data for the spectral smile (optical artifact) and noise removal?

Thank you,

Emran

18 hours ago, Feng said:

Hi Feng,

I fixed the earlier problem with projecting in a single cube. Thank you.

However, I am facing a new problem with ‘’Flatten Summary Product’’. After calculating IR summery product, I tried to process for flattening summery product. But the CAT did not work showing the attached error message.

Thank you,

Emran

12.JPG

Just now, Al Emran said:

Hi Feng,

I fixed the earlier problem with projecting in a single cube. Thank you.

However, I am facing a new problem with ‘’Flatten Summary Product’’. After calculating IR summery product, I tried to process for flattening summery product. But the CAT did not work showing the attached error message.

Thank you,

Emran

12.JPG

Dear Dr. Arvidson,

Thank you for the reply. Here are some queries that I have for the CRISM analysis. N.B: I followed the manual of yours' at 3rd Planetary Data Workshop (2017).

1.      Browse RGB product or each bands minimum and maximum stretch: what would be minimum values e.g. distribution peak or zero? And, what would be maximum value e.g. 99%? How can I determine empirical minimum-maximum values for each summery parameters?

2.      How to select single summery product's min-max stretch? Has there any rubric?

3.      During spectral enhancing: in the case of rationing, what would be the numerator? Are the numerator and the end member spectra extracted same? Or, other else? How can I locate numerator spectra from the spectral cube?

4.       Are spectral neutral and spectral bland dark material same? How can I locate the denominator dark/neutral area?

5.      I didn’t understand the same detector un-map-projected scene. Is that the same image cube product after ATP correction (...._trr3_CAT_corr.img)?

6.      What are the difference between CRISM spectral library and CRISM type spectra? By default, we have the spectral library with CAT. Can I use that library only?

Waiting to hear from you again!

Thank you,

Emran

Hi Feng,

Please find attached the hdr file for the summary product that I would like to process for flattening.  Note here that I uploaded hdr file as .txt since hdr file format can not be uploaded here. Please download the .txt file and rename the file extension as hdr 

Thank you,

Emran

frt000047a3_07_if166l_trr3_CAT_corr_p_2014params.txt

Hi Emran,

I never see this error before. So I try to see if I can replicate this error on my end with the data you are working on. It went smoothly without any error. 

See screenshot below. What is your ENVI version?

image.png.17e7b4e219dd68ea43f13d5f41baea79.png

Thanks,

Feng

Hi Feng,

I am using CAT 7.3.1 in ENVI 5.4 (IDL 8.6). I tried to flatten summery product for a different trr3.img data and got the same error message like earlier.

I am a little bit worried now. Please help me out to fix the problem.

Thank you,

Emran

Capture.JPG

Hi Feng,

I had been working with the classic version of ENVI when I got the earlier error message. Then, I tried to process this in recent ENVI interface and this time I did not get any error message. But I got a weird display image result in ENVI window (attached the output display image).

Thanks, Emran

Capture.JPGzdfd.JPG

Hi Feng,

Working with the problem, I figured out that no .enp file was generated in my cases. But, in your case, it shows .enp extension for each file.

Attached is the list of the file generated in my cases. I guess that could be the potential reason for the problem.

Please have a look and let me know the solution.

Thank you,

Emran

aes.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Feng,

I tried to fix the problem by reinstalling the ENVI and CAT once again after uninstalling these. But I got the same problem again. It shows the same error message while processing ''flatten summary parameters''. By the way, I used four data sets as input files (ddr1.img, ddr1.lbl, trr3.img, and trr3.lbl). Did I miss any other input file that's why I got the error message?

Have you identified the reason for the error yet? Please help me out, if you can, to fix the problem.

Hope to hear from you!

Thank you,

Emran

Hi Emran,

I want to double check with you that the error happened on ENVI classic version not the recent ENVI version?  Like your previous post shows a processed flatten image in recent ENVI version. I will run the processing on the classic ENVi to see if the error shows up.

Thanks,

Feng

48 minutes ago, Feng said:

Hi Emran,

I want to double check with you that the error happened on ENVI classic version not the recent ENVI version?  Like your previous post shows a processed flatten image in recent ENVI version. I will run the processing on the classic ENVi to see if the error shows up.

Thanks,

Feng

Hi Feng,

Yes, the error has happened on ENVI classic version.

Thank you,

Emran

16 minutes ago, Feng said:

Hi Emran,

I did replicate the error in classical ENVI. I will fix this problem. Meanwhile would you please use the recent ENVI CAT?

Thanks,

Feng

Hi Feng,

Okay, I would use recent one. Can you please let me know how can I use ''interactive stretch'' on recent ENVI version. I didn't find the option on the recent one.

Thank you,

Emran

Hello Feng,

Thank you very much for the instruction. Could you please tell me which file is: same detector un-map-projected scene while extracting denominator spectra? Is that the same image cube product after ATP correction (...._trr3_CAT_corr.img)? Finally, I would say again thank you!

best,

Emran

Hello Feng,

No, the file which is used for spectral enhancement in getting ratio spectra (part in spectral analysis and interpretation). I attached the manual and indicated it in a red box. 

Is ''same detector un-map-projected'' same to the image cube product after ATP correction (...._trr3_CAT_corr.img)?  I tried collecting spectra as denominator from that file (un-projected one) and collected numerator spectra from the projected one. Then I tried to do spectral math (numerator/denominator) with these spectra(s). But ENVI shows an error message like spectral bands do not match for numerator and denominator (number of bands do not match). When we project the image cube, has there any changes in the number of bands from unprojected one to projected one?

Thank you,

Emran

ASD.JPG

Hi Emran,

The image cube product after ATP correction (...._trr3_CAT_corr.img) has all original bands (438 which include 8 bad bands, you can see it through Data Manager in ENVI 5.4 )

image.png.7f19813a596f1916a9a7f29efbb5134f.png

When you project the image cube, these bad bands are removed, so there are 430 bands left.

Can you do the spectral enhancement  before map projection then projection the output afterwards?

Thanks,

Feng