PDS Geosciences Node Community

Dealing with CRISM band bands dataset

Sehaj

Hello CRISM Team!

I have been using CRISM data for around 2 years and I appreciate the team for providing useful workshops and TRR-V3 data. I am wondering no new workshops have came up for using CRISM data.

Recently, I have processed MSP and HSP images (TRDR) of Hellas Planitia region. In HSP dataset, I am getting a lot of bad bands. Though ATP and PHT corrections ignore some bad bands, but after applying these corrections, hsp0002d9a3 is getting worse (Display 2 in screenshot) as there might be more bad bands. Projecting the cube and applying destriping (Display 3 in screenshot) gives unusual results.

Similar issues are being faced while processing some other files.

Do, I need to spectrally subset good bands individually from each of the files? I am afraid there are lot of bands and many files, so this would be a a bit difficult job.

Or else, can I safely ignore this data and try with different observations.

Thanks in anticipation!

- Sehajpal Singh (Doctoral candidate at IIT Bombay)

bad_band_data.jpg

Sehajpal: Destriping must be done on the sensor space data. That way each column is from one spectral detector set and destriping takes advantage of this simple arrangement. Did you try destriping after projection? You state: "Projecting the cube and applying destriping (Display 3 in screenshot) gives unusual results." If so, that is likely your problem.

Ray Arvidson

Thanks for your quick response. No, I destriped before going for projecting.

Please let me correct that after atmospheric and photometric correction, am applying destriping, followed by projection (As the processed filename suggests: hsp..._corr_destripe_p.img) . I am afraid if HSP data has some problem, because I did not face any issues while processing MSP dataset.

However, I keep on getting the following error while projecting with respective ddr files. Although, the final image is projected and shows coordinates when we move cursor across it.

Can you tell what is the problem?

projection_error.png

Hi Sehaj,

The header error is because the customized map projection engine data for CAT is not set up correctly in your computer. You can following the instruction document (custom_pedata_instructions.docx) in CAT_ENVI\aux_files\pe_user_defined folder to set up correctly. Please let me know if you still have a problem. BTW what ENVI version are you using? I saw you use ENVI classic. Is it possible for you to upgrade ENVI to 5+ version and use the standard interface?

Thanks,

Feng

Thanks Feng. I am using ENVI 5.6 (IDL 8.8).  I have been using ENVI classic for processing via CAT toolkit and performing other geoprocessing operations in standard version. 

Hey Feng,

I did follow your instructions but couldn't solve it. I uninstalled and reinstalled envi and CAT toolkit.

Now, I have messed up some other things and am not able to georeference the cube, which earlier was working great.

Please help in solving the following error.

err1.png

err2.png

Hi Sehaj,

Thanks for you update. I will help you to fix these problems. To better assist you, can we go to a zoom meeting to fix these problems? You can send me (feng.zhou@wustl.edu) an email with your available time slots so that I can send you a zoom link.

BTW, would you please try the standard interface of ENVI 5.6? It has a lots of new features than classic.

Thanks,

Feng

• 4 months later...

Hello Feng,

Remember we did a zoom meeting to solve the GLT lookup table error and header error. We managed to fix the fatal error but the header error persisted.

I am not getting any kind of errors, though, but projecting a  single cube image is taking a lot of time (10mins approx). I have a plethora of images to process, and need to fix this issue. At the time of zoom call, this problem came and you resolved the problem.

Can you please help me in getting over this?

Thanks,

Sehajpal Singh

Screenshot_cAT_projecting.png