PDS Geosciences Node Community

How to find a new Type Locality with CRISM?

Nathan Weinstein

Hello,

What do I need to define a new mineral Type Locality? How do I search for new minerals that have not yet been defined with a type locality?

I thought of calculating the RGB color of a target mineral lab reference spectrum, with related summary products and then looking for pixels in the related Browse Product scene that have a similar color. Is it a good way?

If yes, how do I do the band math on a spectrum instead of on an image? And is there a way to do this with the codes from the directory ‘CAT_ENVI\save_add\CAT_programs\Additions\SummaryParams2014’ ?

Thanks,

Nathan

Hi Nathan:

Multiple questions here. First you can do math on a spectrum by choosing Spectral Math under the Spectral tool on the ENVI menu. This is not a CAT tool, rather an ENVI tool. Once you are happy with whatever you derive you can switch to ENVI's Band Math to apply your new spectral parameter math to a hyperspectral image, e.g. CRISM data. Then you will have a parameter value output image to work with, colorizing or whatever you wish to do. Make sure you save your Band Math equation. Again, these steps do not use CAT.

Ray Arvidson
CRISM Science Team Member and Geoscience Node Manager