PDS Geosciences Node Community

Viking Orbiter image data missing or not loading?

Mathers99

HI,

Wondering if the Viking Orbiter image data (VISAB) is missing or not loading on the Mars map explorer? It appears that some quadrants are being loaded on the map for the selected High Resolution Mosaicked layer, but the images themselves are not appearing, only the teal transparency. Am I missing some setting or is the data missing?

https://ode.rsl.wustl.edu/mars/indexproductsearch.aspx

Help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Matt

Hi Matt,

if I understand correctly, do you mean you can see the footprints of the dataset, "High Resolution - Mosaicked Digital Image Models (MDIMH)" on the map, but not the context of image on the map? This is true with current version of ODE. It locates a product on a global mosaic by overlaying its footprint in the map, but doesn't support visualization of the context of an image on a basemap.

If you want to look at the details of the image, first, find your region of interest, then you can draw a point, rectangle or polygon with the tools on the top of the map interface. Please see those tools in the attached "Capture_tools.PNG".  You will find a yellow popup on the top left of the map. Click the yellow pop-up, ODE search results will be displayed on a left panel of the map. The interface is similar to the attached "Capture_results.PNG" which is an example of my search of VISAB data by drawing an rectangle on the map. You can see the thumnail of each VISAB product. If you are interested in any of the product, click the product ID will bring you to a product detail page with addition information and more detailed browse.

We recently made a pre-recorded video for the 5th Planetary Data Workshop and 2nd Planetary Science Informatics & Data Analytics Meeting. The video gave an brief introduction of ODE and give a short demo for locating and downloading data. There was some coverage of map-based search near the end of the video recording. Please take a look at the video. If you still need help to access the Viking Orbiter VISAB data, I can schedule a zoom session with you. Thanks,

June 

Capture_tools.PNG

Capture_results.PNG

Hi June,

Really appreciate the quick and thorough response. I now understand how it works and how to get the images from the datasets. I was able to download a sample .img file from the Viking Orbiter data, but I am having some trouble viewing it in Photoshop. I changed the file extension to RAW as suggested in an online tutorial I found, but then it seems I need to adjust certain values in order to process the image properly.

Would there be a simpler image tool that you would recommend to open the RAW image files without having to adjust header values and such? Or will this always be the case with these kind of RAW images?

Thanks again,

Matt

Hi Matt,
I am not sure if you have the software ENVI, which is a commercial software and needs a license. ENVI works pretty well with most of the PDS IMG data.
If you don't have ENVI, NASAView (https://pds.nasa.gov/tools/about/pds3-tools/nasa-view.shtml) is a free tool to have a quick look of a PDS IMG data.
Also, you can use the free software package GDAL (https://www.gdal.org/) to convert the IMG files into other format such as GeoTiffs, JPG, PNG, etc.

Here is a link to a similar post on our PDS Geosciences Node forum:
https://geoweb.rsl.wustl.edu/community/index.php?/topic/1252-opening-file-formats/&tab=comments#comment-2374

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
June