PDS Geosciences Node Community

UVL(linearised) UVW (XYZ) Surface Normal files

MIKE89

Hello,

I am currently working on reading  the  UVL (linearised)  UVW (XYZ) Surface Normal files, so as to get an idea of rock/soil facet orientations. I have developed a Matlab code to read these files with their main IEEE4 binary encoded data. I was wondering if there was anywhere where I could read more on these types of files and how to interpret them. For example I'm getting, for a specific pixel, in the three bands:

band1: 0.06

band 2: 0.25

band 3:  0

and I can't work out what they are. Are they values in the three axis XYZ that define the surface normal vector? , in that case , in what coordinate frame are they determined?. Also I would like to know the difference between these files and the UVW (XYZ) Surface Normal files.

Thank you very much for your time,

Mike

Hi Mike -

The right place to start is the Data Product SIS (Software Interface Specification) file. Go to the "Resources" tab in the MER Notebook (http://an.rsl.wustl.edu/mer/merbrowser/browserFr.aspx?tab=res&m=MERB) and click on "Data Set Documents". Then, from "Pancam" choose the file "camera_dpsis.pdf". This file contains detailed information about the Pancam data products. Page 46 (using the document's page numbers, not the PDF file page numbers) describes the Surface Normal (UVW) data product type that you are working on. You may also want to read about the related XYZ products on page 45. Note that UVL files are the same as UVW files with the added process of linearization to take into account the camera model. This process is covered starting on page 43.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Tom