PDS Geosciences Node Community

Lunar Surface Temperature Maps

tde18

I'm currently doing thermal analysis for lunar landers and would like to use measured surface temperature in a landing zone (which looks like it would be in the level 4 data). What is the simplest way to go about this?

Any help if very much appreciated. 

Hi There:

I am going to try and talk you though use of our PDS Geosciences Node Orbital Data Explorer to get to Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter DIVINER thermal data and maps that you can make for particular times and locations for brightness temperature of portions of the Moon of interest to you. 

First go to our PDS Geosciences Node site: pds-geosciences.wustl.edu

Then go to Orbital Data Explorers, one of the choices on the upper left.

Next select Lunar Orbital Data Explorer.

Then select under additional tools Diviner RDR Query.

This will take you to a template to fill out that will search the DIVINER data for brightness temperatures for your time and location (e.g., UTC or local solar time, latitude range, longitude range) and ask you which channels to show. I selected channel 6 to show radiance for this band range. Try small boxes like maybe a  1/2 degree across to avoid long search times.

Now hit the query button to tell you how many observations are within your search area.

Then go to Request Results and include tabular data and a Grayscale (local range).

Next generate the products and when finished you will have a tiff image of brightness temperatures in Kelvins and a large spread sheet with the values used to make the image.

If this is all you need, fine. Need more and let me know so I can provide more help. Remember these are brightness temperatures and one needs emissivity to get the actual kinetic termperatures. But you should be pretty close. 

Ray Arvidson

PDS Geosciences Node Manager

• 8 months later...

You mean emissivity of that channel ?

Also, I have a question like if I want to convert TB to Bolometric temperature than how will I do that in RDR ? .

I am using ArcMap. How will I convert it to bolometric brightness temperature for channel 9 only . I have the formula but don't know how to implement ? 

Another question about Zonal mean temperature ? It refers to zonal mean as if for certain range of lat , long ? 

14 hours ago, Mr Singh said:

You mean emissivity of that channel ?

Also, I have a question like if I want to convert TB to Bolometric temperature than how will I do that in RDR ? .

I am using ArcMap. How will I convert it to bolometric brightness temperature for channel 9 only . I have the formula but don't know how to implement ? 

Another question about Zonal mean temperature ? It refers to zonal mean as if for certain range of lat , long ? 

Mr. Singh,

TB values are found in column 24 of Diviner RDR data products (column header "tb"). The channel number is located in column 18 (column header "c"). You can get TB values strictly from channel 9 by selecting only column 24 data where column 18 is equal to 9. You then can apply your formula to these values.

Alternatively, Diviner GCP products have "Bolometric average calibrated brightness temperature (K)" noted in column 11, for a given longitude and latitude noted in columns 1 and 2 respectively.

If you can explain what you mean by "Zonal mean temperature" I'd be happy to help you with that as well.